Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Let me tell you a little about my day...

It's one thing to view the streets of Chennai in a car, it's another thing to view them when Carly and I are walking, it's a completely different view when I'm walking by myself! Unfortunately Carly was sick today, so I was on my own for the day, which actually wasn't as bad as I thought.

My morning started off swell when I left the room. You see, from day one we've had this amazing maid! She's a small young woman, very dark complected, and has the brightest, whitest, prettiest, smile you've ever seen! The people in high school voted "Best Smile" don't stand a chance against her. And what I love about her is her sweet hospitality. She is clearly from a lower caste, but always greets us with a bright and positive attitude. I've never had someone from a hotel staff make me feel more comfortable or welcome. She's just that great. There's a bit of a language barrier between us sometimes, but she can always make me smile.

Anyway, so today as I'm leaving my room I see her and stop to say hello. She starts tell me that she's getting married and how she's so excited and shows me her ring. She explains to me all of the details of the wedding and how it's planned for August 22nd. She then says "I want you and your friend to come to my wedding! Can you come?".  I explained to her that we would have loved to come but that we leave for America on August 5th. She got really confused and I had to repeat myself with different wording several times before she understood. She then replied "Oh no. I told my mother and father I wanted to invite my friends in room 320 and now you can't go". I can't remember the last time I felt so sad. :( But she understood and we parted ways. Carly and I certianly plan to leave her a hefty tip on our last day.

So I then walked by myself to the law firm, which was actually very simple. I just acted like I had somewhere to be (which I did and at this point was running late on American time) and used my survival skills to cross the street and I was feeling like an Indian local! My day at the lawfirm was shockingly productive and somewhat fun too. Then on my way back, the funniest thing happened.

As I was coming home, the girls school was getting out (probably ages 7-14). As I passed by a group of them (all were pointing and smiling) one girl stated "Hey you are white, you are nice!". It took everything I had to not laugh. But it's good to know that they find white people to be nice.

To conclude my day, I had dinner in the hotel.It's getting to be really rough for me.

Let me ask you this, have you ever had Inndian food before?... Ever had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner nearly 3 weeks in a row? I have.

It's like eating Taco Bell for a month straight. Sure you can rotate on the menu for a while, but eventually, you just want to have a sandwich! I apologize for those who follow me on pintrest.It seems all I do these days is pin food that I miss and want to eat.

For those who don't know, I'm an extremely picky eater. I honestly thought that coming here would get me out of that, and to a small degree it has. But it turns out that my picky habbits aren't all in my head. I try mostly all the food, but my taste buds physically don't want to eat a lot of it and thus my body just says, "Psh if that's what you're feeding me, then I'm full". Don't worry, I'm not starving myself, I eat a lot of bread and fruits and vegetables, but it is becoming difficult.

Well, this post is getting lengthy so I best be going now. Thanks for reading and "Good Morning America! Good Night India!"

2 comments:

  1. Awe! That's so cool, too bad you won't be able to attend the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imam sure you feel honored just by being invited to the wedding.....sad you can go because I'm sure want to. I sooo get the food thing! I like trying all kinds of things but it doesn't mean I want to eat them for all three meals. It seems your expierence is going very well and that you are learning a lot about yourself. That is awesome!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete