Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Motto

Of course the popular term these days is "YOLO" (You only live once), meaning to reject cultural norms and rules to enjoy life more. Most of us probably remember, "Carpe Diem", Latin for "Seize the day". It's different from YOLO because it is used to describe living life to the fullest, making every moment count, and being productive in a way that is appealing to you. I saw this  written yesterday and didn't think much of it, other than the fact that I remember it from "The Dead Poets Society" in my 9th grade English class. But today, it inspired me and provoked me to enjoy India.

I woke up early this morning, sleepy, irritable, and not in the best of moods. I got up and around for my last day of class, went downstairs to meet the driver for our usual hour long car ride, and then the phone rang. To my delight, we were told that we wouldn't be having class today and were advised to just relax and catch up on our papers. But of course, at that time of day, the only thing on my mind was "Yes! More sleep!". So I ran back upstairs, hopped in bed, and then it hit me... "Carpe Diem".

For those who have been reading my blog, you know that we don't get much time to explore here and I've sort of been complaining about how much time we spend in class. This was my opportunity to go out and explore for myself, and what better way to do that then to go shopping? I got a tuk tuk and went to several shops in the city which made handcrafted jewelry, silks, and other artifacts. It was the best morning ever! I got to go where I wanted, see what I wanted, and had no time constraints! I truly was seizing the day in my own way.

At the final shop I went to, I saw a beautiful pearl ring. I don't own any real pearls and I've been wanting something that I can always keep with me to remind me of India, and this seemed to be just that thing. This ring has already become important to me and I'm so glad I bought it because it serves as two reminders for me:

1. That at one point in my life, I lived in India on my own (well with Carly, but still)... for over a month!
and
2. To seize the day. Take what is in front of you and make it count.

So here's my challenge to everyone: Find something that you can keep with you to remind yourself that every moment counts and to live life to the fullest!


See you in 10 days America!


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're getting so much out of this wonderful adventure. I love you dearly and I'm very proud of you! xoxoxo Uncle B

    ReplyDelete